Wednesday 10 August 2022

No charges against police for fatal shooting of ‘disturbed’ man

Photo: Depositphotos.com

The prosecution service will not bring charges against three police officers involved in the fatal shooting of a man in Purmerend.

The officers responded to an incident at around 4.30pm on September 1 last year in which a man was reported to have smashed a car windscreen. When they got to the scene on Westerdraay the man jumped out of a woodland and ran towards them holding a metal object above his head.

Police fired warning shots but the man continued running, at which point two of the officers fired three shots directly at him. The 41-year-old man died at the scene.

The officers said the poor light made it impossible to make out what the man was holding in his hand, but they believed it to be a large knife, sword or stick. It later turned out to be a metal vacuum cleaner tube.

An internal investigation concluded that the man was disturbed, unpredictable and highly aggressive, but incapable of responding to reason. The prosecution service said the officers had to respond quickly and had no choice but to shoot at the man.

Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl

The DutchNews.nl team would like to thank all the generous readers who have made a donation in recent weeks. Your financial support has helped us to expand our coverage of the coronavirus crisis into the evenings and weekends and make sure you are kept up to date with the latest developments.

DutchNews.nl has been free for 14 years, but without the financial backing of our readers, we would not be able to provide you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch. Your contributions make this possible.

If you have not yet made a donation, but would like to, you can do so via Ideal, credit card or Paypal.