Tuesday 24 September 2019

Hoorn sex attacker faces being deported

A 28-year-old man who sexually assaulted a woman, who then tracked him down via her stolen phone, can be expelled from the Netherlands, reports the Telegraaf.

Mohammed M had been sentenced to 18 months in prison last month, and the Telegraaf reports that since he will not appeal, he can now be deported.

Junior justice minister Klaas Dijkhoff has said that refugees jailed for more than six months can lose their residency.

Robert Vinkenborg, a Hoorn councillor and representative of the victim, reportedly told the Telegraaf: ‘These were anxious times for the victim, but it is good that the punishment cannot now be reduced. She hopes that the junior minister will keep his word and extradite Mohammed from the country…There is no place for this kind of asylum seeker.’

She had tracked him down through the ‘Find my iPhone’ app, but even though she apparently knew where he was in Hoorn a day after the attack, it took months for the police to make an arrest with a DNA match.

The actions of police – or lack of them – are now the subject of an investigation.

DutchNews.nl has been free for 12 years, but now we are asking our readers to help. Your donation will enable us to keep providing you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch.
Donate via Ideal, credit card or Paypal.