Two people from Maastricht, arrested on New Year’s Eve in connection with an alleged plot to launch a terror attack in Rotterdam during the official fireworks display, are to receive compensation, the public prosecution department says.
The woman later turned out to be Dutch Muslim convert Aicha, who spent nine months in Syria as a jihadi bride in 2014. Her lawyer, Francoise Landerloo, said police had been at her home three times on December 31, before arresting her in her nightclothes at 23.45.
The man’s lawyer told broadcaster Nos his client had no contact whatsoever with extreme Muslim groups. He has not been identified.
The public prosecutor issued a statement on Saturday saying there is no evidence to support a tip-off that an attack was being planned and there is ‘no evidence whatsoever’ to suggest the two people arrested were planning an attack.
Compensation ‘is self evident’ in this situation, a department spokesman told news agency ANP.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl
The DutchNews.nl team would like to thank all the generous readers who have made a donation in recent weeks. Your financial support has helped us to expand our coverage of the coronavirus crisis into the evenings and weekends and make sure you are kept up to date with the latest developments.
DutchNews.nl has been free for 14 years, but without the financial backing of our readers, we would not be able to provide you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch. Your contributions make this possible.