The justice ministry coordinated last year’s controversial photograph of Pim Fortuyn’s killer from ‘A to Z’, the photographer has told the Telegraaf newspaper, which first published it.
Ferry de Kok said he is only now going public because he was sworn to secrecy by Volkert van der Graaf’s lawyer and faces a €25,000 penalty for talking about the deal.
De Kok says he signed the agreement in lawyer Stijn Franken’s office, two days before the picture was taken.
Television programme Brandpunt Reporter said on Sunday that the photo had been staged, which would break Van der Graaf’s parole agreement. The public prosecution department said in answer to angry MPs that it had only been informed about the photo plans the day before. However, both Franken and now De Kok say this is not the case.
De Kok told the Telegraaf he had been trying to take a photo of Van der Graaf for months but that Franken had always rejected his efforts. He was then summoned to Franken’s office, two days before the photograph was taken, where he met Van der Graaf and signed the secrecy deal.
Two days later Van der Graaf tried on a couple of baseball caps and then went outside for the photo. He had four of five security officials with him, De Kok said.
Parliament is to debate the circumstances surrounding the photograph with justice minister Ard van der Steur next week.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl
The DutchNews.nl team would like to thank all the generous readers who have made a donation in recent weeks. Your financial support has helped us to expand our coverage of the coronavirus crisis into the evenings and weekends and make sure you are kept up to date with the latest developments.
DutchNews.nl has been free for 14 years, but without the financial backing of our readers, we would not be able to provide you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch. Your contributions make this possible.