Only 27 of the 113 people charged with terrorism offences in the Netherlands were convicted in court and some of them were found not guilty on appeal, the NRC reports on Thursday.
In contrast, some 90% of people appearing in court on non-terrorist charges are convicted, the paper says. The paper bases its claims on public prosecution department figures.
The Netherlands has never experienced a terror attack. Although the murder of film maker Theo van Gogh is widely considered a terrorist incident, no conspiracy to kill him has ever been proved, the paper points out.
Of the 153 people arrested for terrorism offences, almost two-thirds were later released without charge.
Earlier this year, seven people were arrested after police received a tip-off about a plot to bomb a shopping area south of Amsterdam. All were later released without charge.
Last year, the Netherlands’s most notorious terror suspect Samir Azzouz was sentenced to nine years in jail for membership of a terrorist organisation, plotting attacks on political targets and for recruiting people for the armed struggle against ‘the enemies of Islam’.
Nevertheless, ‘it remains unclear… how advanced his plans were,’ the NRC said.
Azzouz was previously tried and found not guilty twice.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl
The DutchNews.nl team would like to thank all the generous readers who have made a donation in recent weeks. Your financial support has helped us to expand our coverage of the coronavirus crisis into the evenings and weekends and make sure you are kept up to date with the latest developments.
DutchNews.nl has been free for 14 years, but without the financial backing of our readers, we would not be able to provide you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch. Your contributions make this possible.