Rules relaxed for gay family reunions

The Netherlands is to introduce a temporary residency permit for gay would-be immigrants who want to move here to be with a partner but cannot do so because they are not married.

At the moment, foreign partners can only move to the Netherlands under family reunion rules if they are married or have a legally-binding relationship.
But gay couples cannot marry in many countries, so the government is introducing the short-term marriage permit to help them get married here. Once the couple has tied the knot, the permit can be swapped for an ordinary residency permit.
Other couples who are not allowed to marry because of religious or other legal constraints will also be able to take advantage of the new visa system, immigration minister Geert Leers has told MPs.